Raisins – The Forbidden Fruit

The shops are full of mince pies and many cooks will be starting on their Christmas cakes and puddings. All this extra dried fruit must be kept well away from your dogs as there is a serious risk of poisoning.

Why can we eat raisins when our dogs can’t?

We don’t actually know! What we do know is that some dogs are more sensitive than others, and the more raisons/grapes/currants your dog eats the greater the risk.

What are the symptoms?

Raisins are potentially fatal as they cause kidney failure. Initially your dog may experience sickness, diarrhea and lethargy. If you are aware that your dog has been eating raison take him to the Vet immediately. Don’t wait for symptoms – the sooner it is treated the better the prognosis.

What is the treatment?

There is no antidote to raisin poisoning. The Vet will usually administer activated charcoal to absorb the toxins and encourage the dog to be sick. The prognosis depends on the extent of the toxicity.

What other human treats are toxic to dogs?

Chocolate, macadamia nuts, fresh grapes, onions and garlic are probably the most common.  Also use of the sweetener, xylitol, is on the increase. This is sometimes used in peanut butter and also found in probiotic (gut health) supplements for horses.